“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people all through our lives, and that’s okay, that’s good, you’ve got to keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear.” – The Doctor
Last night we said a fond farewell to our beloved Eleventh doctor. In the epic Christmas Special there was just enough comedy to soak up our tears as we watched the end of Matt Smith’s reign. It was hard, much like it always is to say goodbye. For many he was “The Doctor”, he was their Doctor, and there will never be another one like him. In many ways that’s true. Smith brought a sort of whimsical air to the Doctor that was needed after the stories of Ten. In a time when the Doctor had been weighed down with so much heartache and loss, Smith stepped in to pull the spirits of fans back up again with his child-like antics, while keeping with the Doctor’s, intense, fearless nature.
We fell in love with him, I think. Somewhere between the fish fingers and custard and Manhattan we fell in love with this Doctor. Which is why it was so hard to watch him leave. “We all must change,” he told Clara. “And so must I.”And he stripped off his bow-tie–his real regeneration. He shed Eleven’s skin, became somebody new, and his face changed with it. With a sad smile he accepts it, unlike Nine who made his decision rashly, or Ten who made it reluctantly. He lets his story end.
The thing about endings though, especially in this show, is that they really are just new beginnings. It’s hard to let go of the Doctor that Smith was, but we have a new Doctor to look forward to, someone who will create a whole new world for us to sit back and watch in amazement. We have someone to fall in love with again. But it will not without the memories with every other Doctor that came before him.
So from all of us, goodbye, Matt Smith, and thank you. We will always remember when the Doctor was you.
- Saying Goodbye to Matt Smith (patriciakar.wordpress.com)
- Doctor Who: Goodbye Matt Smith (readbykevin.com)
- #ThankYouMattSmith: Fans Say Goodbye to Eleven (geeksugar.com)
- ‘Doctor Who’: Watch Matt Smith’s Final Scene and Peter Capaldi’s First (Video) (thewrap.com)
- ‘Doctor Who’: Watch Matt Smith’s Final Scene and Peter Capaldi’s First (Video) (onenewspage.us)
- Doctor Who Goodbye Matt Smith (heatherbadie.wordpress.com)
- Doctor Who: 2013 Christmas Special – The Time of the Doctor (soipondered.wordpress.com)